Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies



Well, hello there. You look good enough to eat.

During a "there's got to be something to eat in here!" scavenge through my cupboards the other night I came across a hidden container of a few chocolate chips. Cookies! I pulled out my trusty America's Test Kitchen cookbook and looked up their recipe. I followed the recipe exactly and what came out of the oven were The. Best. Cookies. Ever. No, seriously - they were like the kind of cookies you get from a fancy bakery. So. Amazing. They were firm on the outside and chewy on the inside. Let's just say that it's a good thing that I only made a partial batch.


Side note: I baked the cookies on a silicone mat and the cookies cooked SO WELL. The bottoms were that perfect shade of brown and they came off the mat without the aid of a spatula. Very cool.


I did some googling to see if I could the recipe online somewhere else and the only place i found it was locked down under America's Test Kitchen website. (They do free 14 day trials, but after that you have to pay!). So, because I have much love for America's Test Kitchen because I have never once had a recipe turn out badly thanks to all of their time they put into their recipes - I'm going to respect their copyright on the recipe.

However, you too can get the recipe (and many others!) via these options:

1. Website - 14 days to get as many recipes as possible for free - plan your trial period wisely!

2. Buy the cookbook - for only about $20 on half.com.

3. Drive to my house and get the recipe!

Don't hate me for not giving you the recipe. Love America's Test Kitchen.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore "America's Test Kitchen." Christopher Kimball is THE MAN. My secret pal last year gave me the annual bound edition of the Cook's Illustrated magazine (containing all of the 2008 issues). Your assessment of ATK is correct; their research into recipes is analogous to doctoral-level research (a bit of hyperbole, perhaps). One of my go-to cookbooks is The New Best Recipe, ISBN 0-936184-74-4, from the editors of Cook's Illustrated. Text on the bottom of the front side of the dust jacket: "Would you make 38 versions of creme caramel to find the absolute best version? We did. Here are 1,000 exhaustively tested recipes plus no-nonsense kitchen tests and tastings."

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, you crack me up. I think it's awesome of you to respect their copyright ;) These cookies do look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo...I really wanted the recipe cause you always give the best ones.

    ReplyDelete