Sunday, January 18, 2009

Vegetable Beef Soup

On a rare very cold day here in Georgia I decided to make some warm and comforting vegetable-beef soup. As a child there was a lady at our church that would bring us a HUGE container full of vegetable-beef soup at times when my mom was in the hospital. It was amazing. I've never had any soup quite that good - but the batch I threw together with what I had in my fridge and pantry was pretty good!

Ingredients:




How To Chop An Onion:




This is something I just learned how to do a couple of months ago. You should also make use of your non-cutting hand to hold the onion secure. However, I would like to emphasize the "single" part of my blog name. I only have two hands and I have yet to train the cats to take photos.


Brown beef. Add garlic and onion. Cook until onion is tender.



Add vegetable juice. Stir in the rest of the ingredients starting with what will need to cook the longest. I also threw in about a tbs of fennel seeds.



Boil for a few minutes stirring often and then cover and simmer until carrots and potatoes are tender AND you can taste the fennel flavor throughout. The vegetables will be done before then - but, really, wait on the fennel. It's worth it. (about two hours for veggies - about 3 hours if you have the fennel)



Be comforted and warmed by the amazingness.


What I put in Mine:

1.5 lbs ground beef browned
1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced.
6 cups of V8 Juice
5 carrots
5 small red potatoes
1 small can whole kernel corn
1 can stewed tomatoes
kosher salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 tbs fennel

3 comments:

  1. Looks great! I'm getting ready for "fourth-meal" and I think I'll go for some hot soup.

    These entries are so informative. You should make videos. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two years later, I finally got around to making this! It was good!

    ReplyDelete