Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dishwasing Detergent and Old Jars

I have grown rather tired of the overly chemical-smell coming from my dishwasher so I looked online for a more eco-friendly alternative. I discovered you could make a very simple and inexpensive detergent using 1 part Borax and 1 part Baking Soda. 2 Tbs into the dishwasher detergent slot. Some comments online suggested putting vinegar in the "Jet Dry" spot to avoid spots from the baking soda. So, I loaded my dishwasher up (complete with a casserole dish with baked on cheese) and ran it through a cycle. Everything came out so well! Clean sparkling clear glass casserole dish and all. I've run the dishwasher a few more times with this "detergent" and I do notice that sometimes glasses on the top rack don't get perfectly clean - so I'm going to try another suggestion I saw online when researching - to add just a bit of normal store-bought detergent. Still cheaper and less chemicals - so I'll see how that works.


When trying to find something to put my concoction in I found an old fruit canning jar that had been my grandmother's I believe that works perfectly. (see picture) I love antiques - and there's just something about homemade detergent in an old glass jar that I find appealing. I did a little google searching and found that my jar is from the 1930s. So, I went ebaying to find some more. I just won one that is actually dated 1908. It's a bit taller than this one - but still with the wire closure. I'm excited. I don't know what I'm going to put in it yet - but it's a cool looking jar. I'm bidding on another one as well - so none of you are allowed to go Ball jar hunting on ebay until after the end of the day Thursday!


And then I remembered that my mother used to collect jars when I was a child and I had a "I'm becoming my mother!" moment. But I guess that's not all bad. The jars are pretty.
As you probably noticed - I'm also in the process of changing my blog format. I like the colors. I'm trying to standardize my photo usage so it's not so sporadic looking. I also need a header graphic - I'll get to it eventually I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. I like your glass jars! How neat! I also like the blogs new look! Very modern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really pretty glass jar. Every time I go to the antique store my MIL works at, I always admire the ball jars there. They are so pretty and have blue tint to them. However, they are kind of pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so mom's not all bad? just a bit obsessive :-) anyway, i want to try the borax "recipe" - what exactly is borax anyway? you're so good at locating new ideas

    ReplyDelete