Sunday, September 12, 2010

Last Words

The last recorded words that Jesus spoke on earth have been heavily on my mind and heart lately.

Matthew 28

16Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. 18And Jesus came and said to them,  "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

Mark 16

15He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.


The sermon was on this this morning as well. The Bible is full of admonition to do good things - care for the widows and opphans, feed the hungry, clothe the poor, visit the sick. We're called to be all things to all people. We're told that everyone is equal in the eyes of the Lord.  We are told to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly. 

But those "last words" of Jesus require so much more if we are truly living as people who believe that Jesus is the Messiah - the son of the one true God sent to earth to redeem us and make atonement for our sins.

In our modern world of being tolerant, open-minded and willing to listen - we often forget to talk about the narrow path.

We, I, have to stop being scared of the part of my faith that makes me weird to the world.

4 comments:

  1. I do think it's important to point out that the Mark verse you quote is part of the "conclusion" to Mark that was added later by scribes. Though it is possible that it did come with the original writings of Mark, there is no evidence pointing to this. So, for me, there's a caution there. Not to disregard it completely, but that it's extra important to make sure there is Biblical support to make a particular line of it stand out as being specially important.

    As for me, when I read the gospels, I just don't see that case being made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts, I appreciate the nudge to mull these things over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's easy to concentrate on doing all the good works and leave out the gospel just because so many people find the gospel offensive (because of it's straight and narrowness). I was listening to a radio program and they were at a fair interviewing the different church booths. The church would tell all the services it offers to help people but when the radio host asked them if they shared the gospel while doing these services that responded negatively. They actually sounded horrified that the radio host would even dare ask such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read that passage out of Matthew today. I like it because while all those things you mentioned are good things, and things we must do if we love God, Jesus makes sure his very last words on earth are a direction to share the Gospel and save souls. And yet he does not leave it at that - he adds, "And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." Incredible if you think about it. He didn't just say, "Ok guys do these things and we'll meet again on the other side. Good luck." He promised He would be with His Church, from then until the end. What comfort! What loyalty! What LOVE.

    ReplyDelete