Friday, November 30, 2012

What I'm Into (November)

A number of blogs I read do this, and I thought it would be fun for this month. No promises on it's prolonged presence.

Books: 

For School:  I read a LOT for school - but one I'm really enjoying is Womanist Ethics and the Cultural Production of Evil by Emilie Townes.  Here's a random passage I underlined:


All that we really achieve with many postmodern categories is the production of constructs such as "center" and "periphery" that reveal our vexing fixation on making a complex world simplistic and on the messiness of diversity neat and pristine when it is really a mash pit of realities. Hence, we remain the same people who want to do justice but demand safety; who want to be prophetic but fret over status and postion; who search for truth but grasp at nettling shadows. (31)
Not for School:  In the Kingdom of Men by Kim Barnes (novel).  Set in the 1960s and following the story of an American woman who moves to the Middle East with her husband to work for an oil company. Very interesting! 

TV: Parenhood has totally made me tear up a few times this season. 

Food:  I've been trying to incorporate less animal / animal-product into my diet. (But I'm pretty sure I'll settle into flexitarian rather than a vegatarian/vegan)

Here's a couple of vegan (or almost vegan) recipes that I've made and loved during this past month. 



In the name of using stuff I already had: I used butternut squash, the green lentils rather than black, and regular raisins rather than golden, and it was still good. I microwaved one half the next day and it reheated quite well!  There is mayo in the dressing - but if you swap that out/omit, you've got a yummy vegan main course!




Completely Vegan. This was SO GOOD.  I roasted on a silicone baking mat rather than on parchment paper. Browned/caramelized splendidly!


On my Blog:

Starting my orphan-advocacy! Meet Martin

And, something I'm really enjoying for a variety of reasons: Short Stories

Excited for December: 

Finishing my first semester of grad school! Time off from grad school and my job to visit family and friends in the home-town.  




Linking Up!
What I'm Into at HopefulLeigh

4 comments:

  1. Wow, those recipes look delicious. Almost makes me think I could be vegan . . . except of course I couldn't!
    Yes, this season of Parenthood has been brutal. I don't quite get reduced to tears but boy they've been trying their best! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for visiting!

      and, I don't think I'll ever be able to go completely vegan - but I love having some delicious vegan dishes up my sleeve!

      Delete
  2. I don't know how people can watch Parenthood and NOT cry. Impossible, I tell you! I've never heard the term "flexitarian" before but I'm definitely an unintentional one. I like meat but I certainly don't need it every meal. I've been reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, which has made me examine my eating even more closely and thoughtfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flexitarian was a new one for me. I discovered it in the midst of my "I don't think all animal products need to be gone. I do think we eat too much" research.

      Omnivore's Dilemma has been on my "to-read" list for quite a while. One of these days!

      Delete