Tuesday, July 15, 2008

First eggplant, now okra


Another vegetable which I previously dismissed has been reclaimed! I've grown up in the south generally despising "southern vegetables" - okra being at the top of my list.


I had a bag in my CSA box a couple weeks ago though and knew I needed to do something with them. I found a lovely recipe for Indian-style okra on All Recipes and thought I would try that.



SO. GOOD.



You just melt butter in a skillet. Chop on onion and saute it until tender. Slice the okra and throw it into the mix. Sprinkle on cumin, coriander, ginger, salt, and pepper. Cook that for a few minutes - stirring often. Serve and enjoy!



I was quite sad when okra did not appear in my CSA box the next week.


You can find the full recipe with actual measurements and specific times here: Indian Style Okra




5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I'd try that recipe, but I do LOVE okra. Okra is one of my faves. I love it to be fried or even pickled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this before! My step-mom makes it. It's yummy. It's called bhindi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to know the details of the CSA boxes. I think that I'm interested in becoming a CSA customer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Nicole. You can tell me more about CSA at GHS. I really enjoy reading your blog, and I'm impressed by your creativity; you're obviously right-brained, right? Right (as in okay, the British usage), I am puzzled by the worm in your corn. I am unable to provide any enlightenment regarding the worm.

    ReplyDelete