Monday, February 16, 2009

Eating Cheap: Salmon Patties

I've been trying to save more money lately which has forced me to get a bit creative with food if I still want to eat something that tastes "adult." The other week a friend of mine made Salmon patties for dinner and shared with me. They were good! I decided to grab some packaged salmon on my latest grocery store run so that I could have "salmon patties" as a pantry staple.

I don't remember exactly what my friend put in her patties - but here's what went into mine:

Salmon (obviously), an egg, bread crumbs, Tabasco, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, and lemon juice.

I browned the onions in olive oil first and then added the garlic to the pan for about 30 seconds.

Afterwards I mixed all the ingredients together. I put the bread crumbs in last and just added enough until it looked like it would form patties. Everything else is to taste. I like flavor - so I went heavy on Tabasco, lemon, and pepper.


Then you brown the patties on each side in olive oil. I like to "flatten" out my patties as they cook so they're more of a salmon pancake - but I like things crispy - if you want it fluffy - don't smoosh yours :)



Then I served it up with some Saffron Rice and some sliced tomatoes. It was yum! (and cheap)


And there's another serving in my fridge for lunch tomorrow!




5 comments:

  1. My mom used to make these for supper. She used canned salmon, and I'll admit that I have lacked the confidence of "picking through" the contents as an adult, so I have not ever prepared them. Since you used the salmon in the packets with success, I just might try making them. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up on these as a "poor people staple", lol, so I kinda hate them, lol. But, this looks different so maybe I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had salmon patties, but they look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a salmon fan but I make a variation of this with tuna and they are yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i use to make salmon patties - guess i used the poor man's way - with canned salmon (and yes we picked out the liittle spiney boney thingy) and egg(s) crackers...and i like them crisp, too...anyway, i think your dad would enjoy your variation with the extra seasonings.

    ReplyDelete